We are happy to publish this guest post, which we hope will give you some ideas about how to cope with your teen’s relocation.
Any immigration is accompanied by a shift in mentality, moving abroad depression, and a feeling of loneliness in a foreign country. On the one hand, there is some truth in this, but on the other hand, there will always be a lot of people around and with the right approach, one can avoid or at least minimize the effect of the feelings above. In this article, you will learn how to help your teen combat loneliness in the first period in the new country and quickly adapt to new life conditions. Writing is a good panacea when living abroad alone!
Top Tips That Will Help to Deal with Loneliness Through Writing
If you want to help your child quickly adapt to life in a new country, then the following tips will help you. All of them are veiled so that your teenager might not guess that they are needed to quickly adapt to the new life. Teens generally don’t like it when their parents teach them how to live. These tips will not cause a contradiction in the child!
Fighting Loneliness Through Diary
Once your teen is in a new country, she\he may have a heightened sense of loneliness and a complete reluctance to do anything. That is, the child may feel frustrated for some time and not communicate with the people around. In this case, a diary can be good therapy. Convince your child to keep a diary every day. There is no need to explain that this is a good way to deal with loneliness because the teenager will begin to claim that he does not feel lonely.
Better explain everything from the other side. For example, if your child keeps a diary and records his feelings, then these records will be useful to other teenagers in the future. Offer to do a so-called experiment, after which you and your child will write some interesting articles about immigration or life in another country.
Thus, you can kill two birds with one stone, do the latter in the future and help your teen combat loneliness. Your teenager may not even know that the primary goal of keeping a diary was precisely a remedy for loneliness.
Suggest Starting a Blog
If you have a creative teenager, then suggest starting a blog in which your child will talk about his new stage in life. Without a doubt, this option can be very interesting for your child, since blogging is very popular among teens now. You can offer the following options:
- Instagram blog: If your child has social profiles, then you can offer to publish at least one post every day about living abroad. Offer your help or make a list of topics for a future blog to make it easier for your child to create content. Promise that you will help write posts and make corrections if your teen is in doubt if he wrote everything correctly.
- YouTube blog: This is the next format your teen might be interested in. Perhaps a video blog is a more convenient format for your child. Suggest a rough list of topics and invite your child to write an example script for what you will talk about. Explain that before recording a video, you need to prepare a so-called script.
- Site-based blog: Today it is not difficult to create your site. Even your child can cope with this on their own or with your help. You can make a website for free, for example, WordPress provides a standard set for this. Let your teenager write articles and publish them on his blog.
And here are the additional benefits of blogging:
- The opportunity to get a lot of new friends. Blogging will keep your child away from feeling lonely, gain recognition from peers, and make many new acquaintances.
- Development of communication skills. Blogging will allow your child to be socially active and develop many essential communication skills.
The main condition for the implementation of such an idea is your support as a parent. Support your child and help him in everything where difficulties arise. This is a very good way to get rid of loneliness and get a lot of benefits. Most likely, your child will like this idea and you will not need to convince that this is important so that the child does not feel lonely.
Find Language Courses
Most likely, the country/school where your teenager goes, offers the opportunity to attend language courses for free for international students. Check the conditions for attending such courses in advance and convince your child to attend such classes. Here are the main advantages of language courses:
- The ability to quickly adapt to a new country and learn the language.
- An opportunity to learn much more about the mentality and characteristics of the country.
- Find new friends and avoid loneliness.
- This is a really good way for your child to make friends faster and not feel lonely.
Always Stay Connected
Many social networks allow you to be constantly in touch with your child. Most teens prefer this way of communication instead of traditional phone calls. Therefore, you can chat in popular chat apps. Remember that your teen will need your support and always help in all endeavors. The above methods can become a real panacea for loneliness and develop many necessary qualities and skills. Writing can be a real panacea for depression and loneliness.
Now you know that writing is a good option to help your child cope with loneliness in another country. Help your child reveal his potential and get rid of the feeling of loneliness that is the top problem for those who go to another country. If your kid is leaving for studying abroad, quick socialization and combating loneliness are what he needs to concentrate on the educational process, leverage his writing skills, and easily cope with academic assignments.
This article was written by Ana Mayer, a project manager with 3+ years of experience. While projects can do without her participation (which means almost never), she likes to read and create expert academic materials for the Online Writers Rating, Best Writers Online review website. Such work gives her the opportunity to write articles on the most relevant topics of today.